Sunday 6 March 2016

Lynch (verb) - Killing for an alleged offence without a legal trial... 

Someone was debating me that in modern times Lynching no longer occurred in the United States - indeed it was a thing of the past... 
I offered the names Eric Garner (I can't breathe), Trayvon Martin, Sandra Bland and (12 year old) Tamir Rice... 

People in the Southern States of America were still being lynched when I was born (1960). I understand that lynching still occurred in the 1990s. 

(2010) - "African American Frederick Jermaine Carter was found hanging in a Mississippi tree in a white suburb on Friday, December 3, 2010. The USA Today first reported it as a suicide, however, the NAACP just recently contests the findings, they feel it may actually be a lynching." 

What really got me thinking is that some of the lynchers that committed these atrocities, in my lifetime, are still alive today - Also those families that happily sat and enjoyed their picnics whilst watching young black men being hung, tortured and burned…

No comments:

Post a Comment