Sunday 18 May 2014





I got a call from Natalie, Saturday afternoon, inviting me to the Bussey Building in Peckham to hear Paul Anderson and Phil Asher play. Norman Jay was guesting on a different floor. Now, I really did not fancy driving to Peckham, however by 11pm I was still wide awake and thought, “Why not?" I texted Natalie, stating I was on my way to pick her up.

We arrived at 1am, walked up to the first floor where Norman was playing to a packed audience, all of whom were thoroughly elated. We then walked up the next flight to where Phil and Trouble were playing.

Paul was dropping some commercial Funky House to the crowd's delight, but I found it hard to motivate myself as I found the music too happy, breezy and light.

I stood by the speakers and watched, in fascination, many kids dancing to a totally different Rhythm, How do they do that? I genuinely am amazed with this phenomenon; it’s quite an achievement to totally miss the beat! You know “1, 2, 3, 4”?

After wandering around and failing miserably to manage to dance, I sat on a bass bin a watched the dancers. The music switched as Phil Asher hit the decks, dropping some deep shit that started my mind drifting and my body relaxing. I sat there for approximately an hour just zoning out, at times totally oblivious to my surroundings.

The music switched. Trouble was back this time with sounds that moved my soul. My eyes opened and I saw a group of young guys, in their early 20s, dancing in a style that my son is well versed in. One was outstanding: not what he did but how he dropped it. I stood up and stretched myself. Natalie, who had been dancing all the while, laughed at me.

Motivated from seeing some great dancing, which always makes me smile, especially when it's youngsters, I started swaying me hips and rocking my head to the rhythm. Soon I was getting busy with Natalie, lost in the music. I saw the kid who had impressed me, watching. He smiled and came over to watch, so of course I subtly switched it up; he and his friends started clapping, or whatever young people do…?

I got chatting to Emmanuel (I think that’s what he said). He exclaimed he had never seen anything like that. I explained, that it was he who had motivated me with his fresh style - I said, “Not so much what you do but how you execute it”.

We carried on chatting later: again he praised both Natalie and; I. I flashily said, “I  am now 54, imagine what I must have been like at your age!”


I gave my card and invited him to the next BiG STuFF. We hugged and parted; we had shared a special moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment