Wednesday 1 May 2013

Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner


October 31st 1993 - My son Manassah was born. Time to grow up and participate in the real world, to progress I would have to change. In my teens I watched a movie called “Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner”, starring Sydney Poitier, a film regarding the politics of interracial marriage in 1960’s America. I remember this movie due to a very meaningful speech that Sydney Poitier expressed to his father. His father was telling of the many sacrifices he and his wife had made to put their son through college, he talked of the 75,000 miles he had walked as a postman carrying a heavy post-bag, to secure his son’s future; he was a man who put his son before everything. The son replies, “Let me tell you something, I owe you nothing, you did what you were supposed to do because you brought me into this world and from that day you owed me everything that you will ever do for me. You don’t own me, you can’t tell me when or where I’m out of line or try to get me to live my life according to your rules”. As a father I followed this principle, my son owes me nothing no matter the sacrifices I would have to make, it was my choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment